Post 256 started this award in 2011. Mr. Schutz was Post Commander in 1962-63; County Commander,1968-69; Dictrict Commander 1973-74. Fred was in the middle of the Post rebuilding committee after our Post burned and rebuilt in 1960. Fred served on many committees at the Post, County and District levels. He was Judge Advocate for our Post for many years. Fred was elected "Legionnaire of the Year" in 2003 and "Humanitarian of the year" in 2005, both on the District level. Extremely aware of and active in the Canandaigua Medical Hospital, volunteering many hours and dollars to keep the Canandaigua Veterans Hospital going.
Fred continually gave financial aide and/or room and board for veterans down on their luck. He was an active participant in the Canandaigua Downtown business and development committee. He was instrumental in developing the "Commons Park" in downtown Canandaigua, and made sure there would be an appropriate U.S. Flag flying over the park at all times and that it was correctly iIIuminated.
Amount of Award - $1,000.00
This one year award will be paid out in two equal installments. The first will be awarded upon submission of proof of admission to an accredited college/university. The second installment will be paid out at the completion of the first semester, confirmed by submitting the grade report.
1. The applicant must be a student at Canandaigua Academy during the entire senior year.
2. The applicant must have been admitted to an accredited college or university.
3. The applicant must have earned at least an 85% average at Canandaigua Academy.
4. The applicant must have a proven record of volunteer community service (church activities, Blood Drives, Relay for Life, Big Brother/Big Sister etc.)
5. The applicant must be the son, daughter, or grandchild of a U.S. military veteran.
6. The applicant must submit a copy of the qualifying veteran's service record (DD214).
Canandaigua Post 256
454 North Main Street
Canandaigua, NY 14424